This New Year’s Day in WA the 2015 Perth Cup takes centre stage at Ascot Racecourse, and below are exclusive betting tips on the handicap clash.
Running as Race 8 on Thursday, this season’s $500,000 Group 2 Golden River Developments Perth Cup (2400m) features a bumper field led by the Adam Durrant-trained Real Love.
Twice placed over the mile and a half at the end of the autumn, this now four-year-old daughter of Desert King pays $2.40 in the latest Perth Cup odds at Ladbrokes.com.au and looks hard to beat.
She’s got a gun draw in barrier five, Perth’s premier hoop William Pike in the saddle and drops two kilograms to the 54kg minimum.
Real Love also comes off back-to-back wins at the track thanks to victories in the Group 3 Queen’s Cup (2200m) and the Listed WA St. Leger (2100m) in her two most recent runs and is well-positioned to make it a Perth Summer Racing Carnival hat-trick tomorrow.
She’s followed in Perth Cup betting then by a host of single figure hopes including the fellow Bob & Sandra Peters bred and owned Respondent.
Winner of the Group 2 WATC Derby (2400m) in April, a race Real Love ran third in, this Grant Williams-trained Haradasun gelding jumps from a wider barrier 12 draw but is also on the 54kg light weight.
His last start produced a third in the St. Leger he’ll be out to improve on here with early love for the galloper who is in from $9 to $8.50.
So will these two from the same connections run one-two in the Perth Cup quinella?
Or is there an upset on the cards from a longer priced hopeful such as Railway Stakes runner-up Balmont Girl ($9) out wide in barrier 15 or market mover Red Blast ($11 into $9) who comes off a second to Railway Stakes winner Elite Belle in the Group 2 CB Cox Stakes (2100m) from December 20?
#13 Real Love ($2.40)
– Mares have won two of the past three Perth Cups including the fellow Bob Peters-owned Western Jewel (2011)
– Gets a gun run from an ideal barrier (5 into 4)
– In-form hoop William Pike rides
– Drops from 56kg that she won the St. Leger carrying to 54kg
– Has beaten a host of these before
– Group 3 second in the WA Oaks and Group 2 third in the WATC Derby over the 2400m
#14 Red Blast ($9)
– Another 54kg light weight who will run well with no kilos on
– Market mover
– CB Cox Stakes second to a Group 1 winner beaten under half a length
– CB Cox Stakes form is something Bob Peters is wary of
– Form up to 2300m
– Good midfield draw
#15 Respondent ($8.50)
– Another market mover
– Owner-breeder Bob Peters has won four previous Perth Cups
– Blinkers go on to help overcome the wider barrier 12 draw
– WATC Derby winner over the distance last season
– Beat Real Love in that race
– Only half a length off her in the St Leger
– Should improve over more distance
– Drops in kilos so meets her equal on 54kg
Get in on the Perth Cup racing and betting action for Thursday online now at Ladbrokes.com.au and enjoy a bonus match bet valued up to $250 when you open a new account, make your first deposit and use the exclusive promo code BETBONUS this summer!
2015 Perth Cup Odds